Tuesday, June 12, 2012

A Child Shall Lead You

As I dropped off Holly and Hannah at the church for Girls Camp this morning, I thought of the two girls from our stake who were killed on the way up to girls camp a couple of years ago, and also I thought about Jared and I traveling to San Diego tomorrow for a few days to celebrate our anniversary. (I know...what happy, uplifting thoughts.)  But with that in my mind, I hugged the girls and  insensitively said:  "Remember that if I don't ever see you again, I love you!"   I looked at Holly and she was visibly shaken and disturbed and I immediately felt horrible for what was a calloused, flippant remark to her.  I pulled her close again  and said:"Holly I am so sorry for saying that , please forgive me."  Although obviously still upset, Holly responded with these words:  "Mom, I forgave you when you said it."


Two lessons learned:
1.  Be more mindful of the Holy Ghost when  I speak.  
2.  Forgiveness is a condition of the heart, not something that needs to be earned.  
                                                                                           
Thank you Holly.





No comments:

Post a Comment